Tonight I got home and it was about halfway into the third and the Lakers were up by 20. I decided to keep watching instead of starting from the beginning on my DVR. I mean, I didn’t even see Carmelo in the last freakin’ 18 or so minutes — what was the point? The Nuggets aren’t any better with Chauncey Billups if you ask me. Watching the end, the highlights, looking over the box score and listening to the post-game show with Billy, Joel, Norm and Stu, here are my thoughts…
- Phil Jackson was right about Kobe Bryant coming out and playing with amazing energy. 29 points in 29 minutes. This was one of those nights he could have lit up for 50 if he played 45 minutes in a close one. KB24 just tortured a Nuggets defender with a brilliant rocker step, pivoting fadeaway. Don’t know how else to explain it, except I will add that it looked like something right out of the Jordan playbook. He was on fiya tonight, dude. Seriously.
- The big men are really passing. 9 assists for Pau Gasol last night, including that beaut of a behind-the-back pass that led to a wide-open three. A season-high 5 assists from Diaper Drew tonight.
- Trevor Ariza is just straight ridunkulous, Purple and Gold peeps. 11 points, 7 boards, 4 dishes and 3 steals. The guy is a stat fucking stuffer. Meanwhile, you have Vlade putting up as many turnovers as he had points (3). There’s going to have to be a swap at some point. It’s coming. Especially if Trev keeps getting better at the trifecta. Trevor was one off the plus-minus lead tonight at +18, and he has to lead the team on the season. He’s at least very close.
- Diaper Drew went for 13-13, but the highlight of his night was that turnaround baby hook he hit. Let’s get that going, young fella! If he can hit that consistently, that’s the first thing it will say on the league’s epitaph…”Bynum’s baby hook wiped out league parity like a plague.”
- Jordan Farmar is a trip. Seeing him interview celebs at the Bolt premiere cracked me up. John Travolta was cool and totally knew who Jordan was — but John, what is up with your hair? That can’t possibly be real. Mr. T knew who Jordan was and told him hoopers shouldn’t throw down. Meanwhile, Macho Man and Miley Cirus blew him off. Who cares? One’s a flash in the pan and the other is about three years away max from being one. It was crazy how many of the quasi-celebs didn’t know who he was. Know your Lakers, Los Angelenos! Er, maybe they are Clips fans.
- 10-1, which puts us on pace for 70. The Lake Show Life can’t get much better than this, at least for now. That being said, I’ll leave you with this (sorry, Sasha, but you gotta step up)…