While the box score stats don’t jump out at you, LeBron James helped bail the Los Angeles Lakers out…AGAIN!
The one thing Lake Show Life can do is bring out the NBA casuals (AKA the NBA 2K and ESPN Trade machine analysts!) to comment when LeBron James is criticized. Nothing was more evident of that than the loss in Detroit when LeBron let go of the rope.
Here’s how LeBron can have 21 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists and play much better than the one in Detroit when he hit his first seven shots and had better stats.
Every time the Los Angeles Lakers needed a basket, he delivered big time. All 21 points were scored in pivotal parts of the game.
- He started the game with a slam dunk.
- Just before halftime when the two teams were tied, he drove the ball to the basket and drew a foul (He even hit the free throw!).
- Finally, he forced the Boston Celtics to adjust their defense when he lit the fuse on a Lakers run in the last quarter.
LeBron got the party started with two huge 3 pointers. But watch this great pass to Montrezl Harrell that shook Jaylen Brown to the floor.
This play right here showed the engagement that was lacking in the second half of the previous game.
- When Montrezl Harrell stole the pass, he passes it quickly to LeBron.
- Watch how LeBron slows up and takes one extra dribble so Montrezl can run the lane.
- Then he rewards the big man for hustling AND doesn’t allow Jaylen Brown to foul him and stop the fast break, hence the falling down on the play.
When Boston lost the lead, they were to forced double team James to get the ball out of hands.
Sure James had 5 turnovers in the game, but that was privy to a strong performance from the Celtics defense before LeBron shook loose.
This is not an analytics series. It’s not about counting stats, but how the game of basketball is executed. LeBron’s execution got the Lakers a much-needed win.
Speaking of Montrezl Harrell, it was good to see him back to his old self. After a couple of subpar games, he followed AD’s aggressive plans. Read on to see what he did!