Every sports fan loves a good rivalry. The Los Angeles Lakers have inherently become every team’s rival, it seems, as everyone wants to dethrone the most prestigious and historic franchise in the NBA.
The NBA knows that fans love rivalries and are leaning into that. Rivalry matchups are naturally going to happen throughout the course of a season, but what if the league could compile all of these rivalries to happen near the same time?
That is exactly what Adam Silver and Co. have done with NBA Rivals Week.
What is NBA Rivals Week?
NBA Rivals Week is an attempt by the league to put forth the most decorated rivalries in the sport in front of a national audience. In a five-day span from January 23 through January 27, there will be 11 different games that are broadcast on national television that are meant to be the best rivalries that the sport has to offer.
When did NBA Rivals Week start?
The NBA first debuted NBA Rivals Week during the 2022-23 season, meaning that the 2023-24 season is the second iteration of this purposeful scheduling. The Lakers participated last season, playing the Boston Celtics in that timeframe.
Who do the Lakers play during NBA Rivals Week this season?
The Lakers actually have two games during NBA Rivals Week, which makes perfect sense considering they are the biggest-market team in the entire league.
The Lakers kick off rivalry week on the 23rd with a matchup against the Los Angeles Clippers on TNT. Then, the Lakers end rivalry week with a road game against the Golden State Warriors on ABC.
NBA Rivals Week schedule for the 2023-24 season:
Tuesday, January 23:
- New York Knicks at Brooklyn Nets, 4:30 p.m. PT on TNT
- Los Angeles Lakers at Los Angeles Clippers, 7 p.m. PT on TNT
Wednesday, January 24:
- Oklahoma City Thunder at San Antonio Spurs, 4:30 p.m. PT on ESPN
- Phoenix Suns at Dallas Mavericks, 7 p.m. PT on ESPN
Thursday, January 25:
- Boston Celtics at Miami Heat, 4:30 p.m. PT on TNT
- Sacramento Kings at Golden State Warriors, 7 p.m. PT on TNT
Friday, January 26
- Dallas Mavericks at Atlanta Hawks, 4 p.m. PT on NBA TV
- Portland Trail Blazers at San Antonio Spurs, 6:30 p.m. PT on NBA TV
Saturday, January 27
- Miami Heat at New York Knicks, 12 p.m. PT on ABC
- Philadelphia Sixers at Denver Nuggets, 2:30 p.m. PT on ABC
- Los Angeles Lakers at Golden State Warriors, 5:30 p.m. PT on ABC
How to watch NBA Rivals Week:
There are various ways to watch the different games depending on where they are being aired. Every game on ESPN, ABC, or TNT can be watched with a cable subscription. For those that do not have cable and want a streaming provider, out friends at Fubo are offering a seven-day free trial for new users.
Fubo does not offer TNT, however, those games will be available to watch for free for MAX subscribers. Max introduced a new Bleacher Reports sports add-on that will be free up through February 29. Then it will have an additional cost on top of the MAX subscription cost.